A commentary by Bob Sparrow
It’s that time of year, a time for scary things. Here are some things that are scaring the shit out of me this Halloween.
- Our government Never have we been so polarized. We see our government not trying to do what’s right for the American people, but making sure the other party doesn’t get credit for doing what’s right for the American people. If you want to start an argument, just take a right or left position on a subject and you will very quickly see a ‘house divided’. Our government is broken and no one seems to care, much less know how to fix it.
- Politicians (Obviously I’m not done with our government yet!) Today’s
politicians from both parties are first, self-serving, then party-serving and rarely, if ever, think about 1) serving the people in their constituency, and 2) doing what is best for the country. Our Social Security program is not good enough for them; our health care system is not good enough for them. Get them on the same programs as the rest of us, get them term limits and get them out! They are the problem they’re pretending to fix.
- Our position on illegal aliens What don’t people get about the word ‘illegal’? We have always been a nation of laws, except when it comes to this issue. It is now considered to be prejudicial and politically incorrect (another scary thing) to try to up-hold the law regarding this problem, because it is primarily directed at the Hispanic community. Bull shit! Illegal is illegal. We have good immigration laws, it’s scary that we don’t enforce them.
- The dumbing down of America. Perhaps it’s because modern technology has exposed more, but wow, are we stupid! People don’t read anymore, they get their news, thoughts and cultural enlightenment from reality TV and celebrity
tweets. It’s scary how important what Lindsay Lohan and Kim Kardashian are doing. Our commitment to education is best demonstrated by the ever-widening
gap between what we pay our professional athletes and what we pay our teachers.
- Retirement. It’s turned me into a sedentary curmudgeon.
What’s scaring you this Halloween?
Use our ‘Comments’ section to let us know.