By Bob Sparrow
I can’t let this week go by without a salute to all our veterans on Veteran’s Day. Thank you so much for your service!!!
This is the time of year where you should not expect my missives to come from the far corners of the planet; no Inca Trail treks to Machu Picchu, no Kathmandu capers, no summiting Mt. Whitney or Half Dome, no wine and pasta sampling in Tuscany and not even a visit to a local pumpkin patch or turkey farm. So instead of holding a compass, trekking poles or a backpack, the only thing I’ll be having a death-grip on in the near future is the TV remote control. This is the time of year when I rarely even venture outside – I become the quintessential coach potato
As justification for this somewhat dubious moniker, I present the following: In the past 13 days I’ve been able to watch:
- Game 7 of the World Series (Congratulations to the Washington Nationals – what is a National anyway?)
- NCAA football (my favorite sporting event) is in mid-season form with the LSU-Alabama game and Utah with it’s big win over Washington. Go Utes!! For me, nothing beats the spirit of college football.
- NFL football has my 49ers looking as good as they have in years! Notice that in past years it’s just been the 49ers, but this year it’s ‘my’ 49ers.
- NBA basketball has started its regular season and already my favorite player, Steph Curry has broken his hand and is out indefinitely.
- I know the NHL regular season has started as I don’t see my good friend and former NHL player, John VanBoxmeer as much – John is a scout for the Buffalo Sabres.
- PGA golfer Tiger Woods won his 82nd golf tournament, tying the record of legend, Sam Snead.
There were even sporting events going on that I didn’t, or wouldn’t, watch, to wit:
- The Breeders Cup, at Santa Anita, a track that has produced more broken legs that KFC.
- For you Formula 1 fans, last weekend the United States Grand Prix was held in beautiful Hawthorne; don’t ask me who won; don’t even ask me where Hawthorne is!
- And for you MMA and UFC fans . . . I have no idea – not a fan, but I did read that the Sparta Cup was held on Oct 31 in Biysk, Russia – hopefully no one died or got sent to Siberia, although, for all I know Biysk is in Siberia.
Whether you are mashed, baked or scalloped, now is the time for all you ‘Potatoes’ to find your couch, along with a beverage of choice; and get those fingers working that remote control – get yourself in shape man! ‘Tis the season!
Yes, you’ll probably gain a little weight during this ‘season’, but that extra weight will come in handy for absorbing the extra alcohol that you’ll be consuming during the next ‘season’ – the ‘Holidaze’! Another benefit of being a couch potato.
And ladies, we know this keeps the men out of your hair so you can start your shopping for . . . anything; they won’t even know you’re gone or what you’ve bought! Or just maybe, you’re the couch potato in the family. You go you little French fry!