by Bob Sparrow
I wore my Detroit Tigers t-shirt last weekend, a shirt I purchased at Tiger Stadium several years ago – the one with the mustard on it. I had several people asked me how a California native became a Detroit fan. Those who know me know I spent the last five years of my career ‘commuting’ from southern California to Michigan. The traveling was never fun, but getting to know the people from Michigan was something I’ll never forget.
They are tough – they have struggled more than most states through this dismal recession, as much of their state’s economy is auto-based and the Big 3 were not so big.
They have great values – having spent a good deal of my business life ‘on the road’ I had an opportunity to visit virtually every state in the union and I can tell you that there is indeed a mid-West culture and value system, and it’s still alive and well in Michigan.
They are just good, hard-working people who deserve better – and now they are getting it.
- The University of Michigan is 5-0 and in Denard Robinson have the most exciting player in college football.
- Michigan State University is 4-1 and beat Ohio State last week for the first time in over a decade
- The Tigers won their division and now have a 2-1 lead over the Yankees in the first round of the play-offs
- The Lions are 4-0 in a season marked by great second half comebacks
- The ‘Hockeytown’ Red Wings continue to dominate the Central Division and their fans at ‘The Joe’ “Don’t Stop Believin’”
- The Detroit economy still has a long way to go, but with the Big 3 making a comeback, their economy improved more than the national average last year and will probably do it again this year.
Of all the places that I’ve been
There’s nothing quite like Michigan